Laura Pritchard-Compton loves creating inclusive environments. She grew up in rural Southwest Virginia and attended the University of Virginia for both undergrad and graduate school where she was the Strength and Conditioning Coach for two National Championship tennis teams. After her sophomore year Laura took off a year to participate in Mission Year, a year-long urban ministry program. This past January she founded Urban Perform (UP), a non-profit gym serving the English Avenue and Vine City neighborhoods in Atlanta. She is an avid nail painter and enjoys running, lifting and hanging out with friends and neighbors. Laura and Urban Perform were our 2nd place winners in our 2013 Idea Competition.
FIVE FACTS ABOUT URBAN PERFORM:
1. Thanks to our partnership with Tri-Kids Inc. our Triathlon team doubled in size and completed not only one, but two triathlons this spring!
2. Our goal for 2014 was to move into a new building to become a fully operating gym. We met this goal on March 1 through a grant from the Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation. Please join us Saturday, May 31 for our Grand Opening Celebration with the Atlanta Falcons!
3. Our adult fitness classes only cost $2!!!
4. We operate in a “gym desert.” We are the only facility offering affordable fitness and nutrition programs for community members in a 5 mile radius.
5. So far in 2014, we have doubled the amount of kids and families we serve. We can’t wait to see what the rest of 2014 brings!